Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Feel the Burn

I am now on more supplements than probably any other person in the world, and I have heartburn to prove it.

It is always there. Not horrible, just enough to make me uncomfortable. Like a marble of burning in the back of my throat. I can't wash it away with water, and I can't swallow it down with food. Pepcid gets rid of it, but since "Making Babies" suggests avoiding all unnecessary medications I am trying to only go that route when it gets really bad.

I have never been a person who is bothered by taking vitamins. I could even take them without food and not have a problem. Of course, in the past I was taking gummy vitamins, or Flintstones chewables, not exactly the array I am taking now. I thought maybe it was just the combinations I was taking, or one certain vitamin or supplement, so I tried taking them each out one at a time, but that didn't work. Removing magnesium made it slightly better, but the burn still remained.

I tried changing my eating habits too (I mean, even more than I already have), seeing if removing things that are acidic, or creamy, or spicy might help. Nope, nope, and nope. No matter what I ate, or didn't eat, the burn lived on.

It's weird, because the book doesn't mention anything about possible heartburn. They talk about all the health benefits of the program, but not the possible side effects that could derail the whole thing. I really have been wondering how many women have given up on this whole program just because the supplements are too hard to swallow.

I am going to keep swallowing them though. All of them.

After all, if this works out I hear I will be dealing with plenty of heartburn later. Might as well gear up for it now.

2 comments:

  1. I do sometimes get supplement heart burn if I take them too close to bed time. Yuck. Wish I had a solution for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peppermint can help with heartburn. You may want to try that.

    ReplyDelete