Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Switching Off

I need to step away from the computer.

Well, not just the computer. The cell phone, the radio, the television, and the Kindle all need to go off too. Actually, any electronic device now needs to be put in the "off" position, until my ovaries are ready for take off. At least, they need to be off for as much time as possible, according to the "Making Babies" program.

Turns out, according to the program, that electronic devices, and the heat and other emissions from them are very drying. They zap the moisture right out of you. So, if you, like me, are already "dry" and trying to moisten up (I know, I know, TMI), the less time you spend around electronics, the better.

Did I mention I work in a television station where I surrounded by electronics all day long?

Did I mention that I sleep with my phone and sometimes my laptop?

Did I mention that I blog, read blogs, and Twitter like I'm getting paid for it?

Yeah, this is going to be easier said than done.

I am working on an action plan, though. I can't really get away from it at work, so I am going to try and cut down at home. No more computer or phone in bed. Only two hours of computer time a day MAX. Once I have read everything currently on my Kindle, I am switching back to books. Oh, and when electronics aren't on I am unplugging them so they are emitting nothing.

I have a feeling this may be a withdrawal more serious than the one from giving up wine. And that was ugly.

I guess I will just have to figure out another way to spend my time after Meg goes to sleep. Maybe my husband can help me think of something...

4 comments:

  1. Preferably something to help with the babymaking. Like board games, right? Or chess?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a graphic designer, so I too work around electronics all day long. When I go home after work, I have learned to turn my phone and computer off. Blogging is done during breaks in my day only (like lunch or 15 minutes here or there).

    Trust me, it will be hard! But I know you can do it. I mean, you gave up wine after all. To fill my evenings, I like to read books. Not a kindle, or some other electronic reading device ... a real, made from a tree, book. It helps my mind escape from the IF nightmare I am living and keeps me away from the phone. It also allows for more spontaneous baby making ... at least as spontaneous as BBT charting, CM checking, and OPK watching can get :)

    Good luck! I hope Meg gets her little sister or brother very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoaaa.... This would be really hard for me. And I haven't even managed to completely give up wine, yet. Every month when I find out I'm not pregnant again, I break out a new bottle. But I applaud your effort on the electronic front. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I just saw a story in the New York Times about the link between electronics and infertility. I'm choosing to ignore this information for now :)

    ReplyDelete