Thursday, August 11, 2011

BlogHer and Babies

If you haven’t read Erin’s post about BlogHer, you should start there. I didn’t have any expectations for the weekend, but I was definitely surprised by the number of moms, babies and pregnant ladies everywhere I looked.


It’s not like I attended any sessions specific to motherhood, but fertility is kind of everywhere. Early on I realized I needed to clarify by saying I contribute to a blog about infertility instead of fertility because that was only confusing people and making them think I knew the secret to getting knocked up.

Even the very generous sponsors were definitely targeting the mom crowd. Erin and I avoided sections of the Expo Hall for this reason. (Although we each snagged a sample of Zarbee’s all-natural nighttime cough and sleep drink for kids, just in case we needed to knock ourselves out. But sheer fatigue did the trick.)

It didn’t help that we both failed a pregnancy test the morning we left and that we were extra sensitive due to PMS. We should come with a warning: “Of Child-Bearing Age But Not Ability.” By Thursday night, I felt a little beat up. I called John just to say, “Today was hard.”

Luckily, it got easier. Unlike in real life, it was super normal to tell complete strangers I co-write a blog about trying to get pregnant. That’s the freedom of being with 3,600 bloggers. Everyone is writing about their passion --- life, love, kids, food, faith, fashion. I met a woman who writes about worms. In our case, it’s the fertility journey. And the more I talked about Tired & Stuck, the more comfortable I felt talking about Tired & Stuck.

By the time Erin pointed out Giuliana Rancic to me, I was even ready to tell her about our blog. I’m not familiar with her show, but I heard her on a radio interview awhile back and I’ve heard about her from several friends. I told her Erin wanted to meet her but was afraid she would cry. I thanked her for bringing light to the struggle of infertility, and we talked for a couple minutes about how it’s sometimes hard for people to relate. Then I took a really awkward photo with her. As I walked away, one of the women from the Tropicana booth asked for my card. She didn’t tell me her story, but she seemed happy to know she wasn’t alone.

Later that day, as I continued to discuss infertility with strangers, one woman told me how she and her husband adopted after she was diagnosed with low progesterone and clomid failed. Another woman told me how she miscarried her first child and then fired her doctor for being as sensitive as jagged stone. 

The whole experience reminded me how important it is to tell our stories honestly and to listen to others when they tell theirs.

7 comments:

  1. That last paragraph is so beautiful. Just like you. I am so glad I got to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last paragraph gave me shivers too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last paragraph is beautiful, Christina.

    I'm glad it got easier for you to talk about as the conference went on -- and I hope that translates back to the "real world" now that you're home. If you want/need to talk about something with people you're already acquainted with, I hope the experience makes it easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's cute that you and Erin synchronized your pregnancy tests. Is this common with other infertile women?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Ladies.

    Kylie, my photos of you and girls make all the San Jose folks jealous.

    Mandy, it was such a pleasure to meet you IRL.

    Shell, you should go to BlogHer next year.

    John, my love, don't you know Erin and I are completely motivated by a need to be cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are pretty much awesome, Christina. Pretty much.

    ReplyDelete