Thursday, March 10, 2011

Supplemental Health

I'm a bit in awe over my new routine. Erin and I harassed the good folks at Whole Foods on Monday, and life hasn't been the same since. After spending a small fortune on holistic remedies (and we really did show restraint), I had to plan how I might tackle taking all my new wonder cures.

This is what I came up with, and it doesn't even include drinking the raspberry leaf tea.

Upon rising: Drink two tablespoons of organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar mixed with water. This advice comes from the book, The Insulin-Resistance Diet. The vinegar water may have the same effect as metformin if taken before a carbohydrate meal. So I thought it would be a good way to start my day.

Breakfast: Along with the actual food, two prenatals (the daily dose for this particular prenatal is six tablets), one B-complex and two fiber pills. (The fiber has nothing to do with fertility, but Tired & Stuck folks are known to have digestive issues. So there.) I'm also taking a teaspoon of flax oil for its healthy omega 3s and 6s. This would be fine mixed with yogurt or poured on toast, but I'm always rushed in the mornings so I've just been drinking it straight. Which makes me gag.

Mid-morning: 18 drops of chlorophyll mixed with at least 8 ounces of water. This stuff turns the water so green it's practically black, but the taste is mild, like the slightest hint of a grass stain in your mouth.


I like that these are "professional prenatals." We mean business now.

Lunch: Two prenatals and a low-dose aspirin. The book says aspirin is good for most women trying to conceive, and I actually had a doctor who recommended it as well.

Afternoon: Another glass of chlorophyll water.

Dinner: Two prenatals, one chaste tree berry pill, and 1/4 teaspoon of royal jelly. Royal jelly is very tangy, like sour milk.

Bedtime: One drop of vitamin D3, but only on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday to avoid taking too much.

I was afraid all these pills and potions would make me nauseated. But so far the only side effect has been from the chlorophyll, which is known to produce dark green stool, which means I'm ready for St. Patty's Day in a whole new way.

10 comments:

  1. Sheesh. That is "awe" inspiring. And that is a crazy amount of prenatal vitamins!!! How much iron is in those things? Times 6? Good thing you added the fiber.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I had a mouthful of coffee when I read that last paragraph and I almost sprayed it out my nose. You are a braver woman than I am. I haven't tried most of that stuff yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to start questioning this book if you tell me we need to eat trees in order for us to get pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried the flax oil, couldn't do it. Now taking ground seeds. And I bet green poop is more enviornmentally friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Libby, do the flax seed oil capsules work as well as the gross, gloppy liquid? Because I take those, and they don't come back to haunt you or even taste bad going down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ladies are so brave. If I take even one vitamin, I'm burping vitamin taste ALL. DAY. LONG. I can't even imagine what I would be like with all this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, Christina ... I had the same reaction as Erin, except I was drinking soda.

    You ladies rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, St. Paddy's Day stool! That was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you really dislike vegetables so very much that you have to wash the taste out of your mouth? I had no idea.
    You, by the way, are the very best and I don't know what I'd do without you.
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Queen Bee -- The dose for this particular prenatal is 6 tablets.

    Faith -- It's Libby, not me, who doesn't like vegetables. :)

    ReplyDelete